On September 18-19, 2015 Howard University School of Law is hosting a national conference focusing on entertainment, arts, and sports law. It will be held at the Marriott Marquis in Washington, DC. The conference agenda is below. Online registration is available here: http://newglobaleas.com.
The gala dinner and awards ceremony honoring Professor Spencer Boyer is on Friday night. The tickets for that event are available here: http://www.law.howard.edu/1952.
Friday, September 18, 2015
9:00 am – 9:10 am – Opening remarks
- Danielle Holley-Walker, Dean, Howard University School of Law
- Aubrey “Nick” Pittman, Managing Partner, The Pittman Law Firm. P. C.
9:10 am – 10:30 am
The New Frontier in Sports Agency
This panel will provide a wide-ranging discussion on the business of sports agency, including the changing landscape of player agency and the benefits, if any, of sports participation or legal training in handling sports agency issues and the changing standards that apply to agents.
- Mason P. Ashe, President, Ashe Sports & Entertainment Consulting, Inc.
- Andrew Brandt, Director, Moorad Center for Sports Law, Villanova University; Columnist, Sports Illustrated, TheMMQB.com; NFL Business Analyst, ESPN
- Donald Dell, Group President, Lagardère Unlimited Americas
- Rand E. Sacks,Principal, The Sacks Group, PLLC
- Leigh Steinberg,Principal, Steinberg Sports and Entertainment
- William “Bill” Strickland, Senior Managing Partner, Stealth Sports, Stealth SME
10:30 am – 11:50 am
Assessing and Protecting Intellectual Property Rights Globally
Experienced practitioners and academicians will discuss the top legal and business trends in the intellectual property area of the entertainment and sports industries. Discussions will include those issues surrounding the many challenges in obtaining and protecting intellectual property rights domestically and internationally, and litigating infringement and contract cases.
- Tonya M. Evans, Associate Professor of Law, Widener University Commonwealth Law School
- Russell Frackman, Partner, Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP
- Jonathan D. Goins, Partner, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Loren E. Mulraine, Bone McAllester Norton P.C. and Professor of Law, Belmont University College of Law
11:50 am – 12:00 pm
12:00 pm – 1:20 pm (Lunch)
Inside the NCAA’s Legal Division
Speaker: Donald Remy, Esq., NCAA Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer
1:30 pm – 3:15 pm
Trending Topics in Television and Digital Media
This panel will include discussion of trending topics surrounding business and legal affairs matters across all aspects of television and digital media, including negotiation of deals for the acquisition of original and off-network television series and movies; television production of scripted, reality, sports and live programming; digital programming, content creation, production and advertising; current regulatory and other legal positions, policies and trends in the areas of conventional and subscription television broadcasting, radio broadcasting, telecasting via satellite communications, multi-point distribution or cable television, as well as other related programs or informational delivery systems.
- Rhonda Edwards-Powell, Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs, Scripps Networks Interactive Inc.
- Aleena Maher, Senior Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs, Viacom Media Networks
- Crystal Morales, Vice President, Business Affairs, Turner Broadcasting System
3:15 pm – 3:30 pm
3:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Fireside Chat with Players’ Association Executives
This panel includes player association executives and practitioners discussing the challenges and successes of player associations on issues such as collective bargaining, player compensation, antitrust issues, player safety and player discipline issues.
- Anthony “Tony” Clark, Executive Director, Major League Baseball Players Association (“MLBPA”)
- Donald Fehr, Executive Director, National Hockey League Players’ Association (“NHLPA”)
- Michele A. Roberts, Executive Director, National Basketball Players Association (“NBPA”)
- DeMaurice F. Smith, Executive Director, National Football League Players’ Association (“NFLPA”)
7:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Reception and Awards Gala
Saturday, September 19, 2015
9:00 am – 10:30 am
The Business of Entertainment & the Arts
This panel includes business executives, academicians and practitioners who will offer views on a broad range of business and legal topics related to the entertainment industry. Whether you are thinking about starting a business or are facing the challenges of being in business, this panel will be informational.
- Serona Elton, Associate Professor, University of Miami Frost School of Music and Vice President, Business Solutions at Warner Music Group
- Charles King, CEO and Founder, Macro Ventures and Former William Morris Super Agent
- Edward Woods, Senior Partner, Edwards Woods, P.C.
10:30 am – 11:45 am
Inside the Company’s Business and Legal Affairs Division
This panel will provide an insider’s view into the company’s business and legal affairs division, as well as outline specific examples of business developments that require both the application of traditional legal skills as well as collaboration with business counterparts.
- Joseph Dimona, Vice President Legal Affairs, Broadcast Music, Inc.
- Melanie S. Jones, Director, Business & Legal Affairs, Discovery Communications, LLC.
- Danielle Robinson, Counsel, Radio One
11:45 am – 12:00 pm
12:00 pm – 1:25 (Lunch)
CLE Speaker: TBD
1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
A Primer on Counseling Entertainment Industry Clients
Experienced attorneys and business executives will debate the key legal, business and ethical issues that confront entertainment clients. The panelists will discuss practicing entertainment law in a secondary market versus a primary market and how to gain knowledge and experience starting out in entertainment law. The panel will also provide overviews on the predominant issues involved in personal management and agency contracts, artist-record company agreements, producers and writer agreements, TV and Film contracts, music publishing and book publishing and much more.
- Ricky Anderson, Managing Partner, Anderson and Smith, P.C.
- Reggie Osse, Partner, Wade Osse Waldon, LLP; Radio Personality, The Combat Jack Show
3:00 pm – 3:15 pm
3:15 pm – 4:45 pm
Hottest Topics in Sports Law
From safety concerns to injury issues, from play to discipline, from on-the-field to off-the-field activities, and everything in-between, these Panelists will discuss issues involving sports figures, teams, leagues, and colleges ontoday’s and tomorrow’s hottest topics.
- Timothy Davis, Executive Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Jeremi Duru, Professor of Law, American University’s Washington College of Law
- Bret M. Kanis, Hightower Law Firm
- Daryl Washington, The Washington Law Firm, P.C.
- Brandon Wright, Director of Compliance, University of Maryland