Despite the presence of Hurricane Isaac which threatens the Gulf region, the BWRC 2012 show must go on!
When: August 29 – September 3
Where: Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort & Spa
Established in 2000, the Black Writers Reunion & Conference is well known for its engaging workshop presenters, outstanding topics, inspirational ambience, and professional organization. While BWRC does not discriminate against participants of any race, BWRC is the only touring conference with the added cultural bonus of being presented both by and for Black writers. This year is billed as the last event and, Murphy’s Law notwithstanding, the list of confirmed presenters and attendees is impressive and exciting.
As in past years, I will present “Legal Matters That Matter to Writers” created with the rights of writers and other creative folks in mind.
About Legal Matters that Matter to Writers
My workshop is an informative and engaging presentation tailored specifically for writers and independent publishers who want straightforward, clear, and concise answers to the most common and pressing legal issues in the publishing industry. After attending this workshop you will understand:
- how copyright is created and protected
- what is considered a fair use in print and on the Internet
- what can and cannot be copyrighted
- how legally to refer to real people, places, and events in one’s own work
- the real deal about the myth of the Poor Man’s copyright
- the critical timing of when to register your work with the Copyright Office
- the most common contracts involved in securing, licensing and transferring copyright and other rights
- things to consider when you are sealing the deal
Poetry & fiction readings…